Sunday, November 11, 2012

Dress up Trunk

Trying to com up with a Christmas present idea for a 7 year old girl who seams to have everything is really tough. However, this particular girl loves dress up and has no where to put her dress up clothes. *Bing* the light turns on. Why not a dress up box, personalized just for her.

I like to shop at Good Will to see what deals can be had. I was keeping my eye out for a little shelf unit with doors, or a small dresser. Then I saw it. It was a pathetic looking, poorly spray painted trunk. Perfect! and for only $6, what a deal.

I don't have any picture of how the trunk looked when I took it home. However, after picking out my out spray paint, and some painter tape, I got to work and it looked like this. (the little butterfly was added before I remembered to take a pic of just the new paint) Note: since this was painted already, I didn't use a primer. I highly suggest using a primer prior to spray painting anything. I had some problems with flaking.





This took some time and patience. I sprayed the whole think pink (tapping over the handle). As you all know, please paint in a well ventilated area, preferably outside. After the pink set to dry for 24 hours, I covered the top and sides with tape and news paper so I could paint the trim. I would have likes to have the trim the original brass color, but unfortunately it was already painted over. Pink and blue are Danica's favorite color. So here it was.



I hand painted her name on the top with acrylic paint I already had. The butterflies are really wall decals I picked up for $1. I did trim around each butterfly so there was no "halo" of color from the sticker sheet. A little bit of spray adhesive or dots of super glue will ensure the butterflies will not go anywhere. I wanted the butterflies to be "fluttering" around the trunk, so I fought my "everything straight and neat" impulse and placed them at random. Yes! I did it and it looks cute. After all that, I used some silver paint I have and embellished the name, and gave the butterflies a little butterfly trail. What is neat about the silver paint is that it shimmers a little bit and depending how you look at it, you either see the trails or you don't. Ta-Da, here is the end product!




I did a lining of felt because there was just raw ply wood inside, and I didn't want any of the play clothes to get snagged and torn. A quick cost of clear over all of it, and it is ready to go. I made sure that it will be something she will like for years to come. Sure, she really likes princesses this year, but who know what she will like in a year. Butterflies are timeless for girls of all ages.

I hope this gives you an idea to go out there and re-purpose something for some one you care for.
~Kit~

No comments:

Post a Comment